Saturday, July 21, 2007

I heart my staff

Phew doesn't even begin to cover it.

I'll blog it better after I've actually had shabbat (abridged), but can I say, at 1:30 in the morning, that the only, only single mistake at the register, in the entire 25 hour period was mine? And I wrote myself a note so I remembered it and it was easy to account for?

Halleluyah!

There are many, many, many other things for which I am massively grateful to these people, but right now that one tops my list.

And Body Tr@ce is still our bestseller, but only by 20 books (really, I should email the author and let him know). Deathly Hallows will pass it tomorrow morning, though. Do you know how many books we've sold more than 20 copies of in the past year? 17. Do you know how many of those have had either an author event or a local connection or both? 13.

My feet are tired. I'm going to bed.

5 comments:

Scrivener said...

So glad to hear that things went well. Is it perverse of me to feel happy that you sell more copies of books with actual local connections? I get the sense when you say it that it's frustrating for you, presumably b/c it means slow sales in general, but it's reassuring to know that there are still places where people care about and support local writers. I see little sign of that around here.

Jody said...

Congratulations!

I hope you get to enjoy the book yourselves someday soon!

seahorse said...

Sounds like it was a great launch, and I enjoyed reading about it.

You're probably worn out still, but one to save for later? A random meme

http://beautyoffensive.blogspot.com/2007/07/random-facts.html

S. said...

Scriv, I didn't mean to leave the impression that I'm frustrated--I mean, I'd love to sell more copies of books, sure, but it's more that my customers aren't "blockbuster" readers and we do a lot of handselling of a whole range of books that staff love. If I take out the books that were either local or author-event books, our bestseller is Omnivore's Dilemma. Really.

Jody, thanks!

Seahorse, ooh, ooh, ooh, I'm so tickled to be tagged! I have to get myself over to your site and tell you so!

Scrivener said...

Ok, that settles it, then: you have a great bookstore with a cool clientelle.