Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Snow Day

Z. and A. were home from their respective schools today, both full of glee. We had a weekend-y breakfast with no food dumping and I headed off to open the store late. Late b/c my staff was snowed in and I hadn't expected to be on the register today, but I don't think we missed much. No one's out early on a snow day.

Staffing the store alone was actually kind of calm and centering. It's my brainchild, but I don't often get it to myself. My feet are tired from all the standing and it would have been better if I had a real lunch break, but we had more foot traffic than I thought and I managed to get some more office-y tasks off my list even at the register. The customers who did come in were also very cheerful and appreciative. Snow can do that--create a sense of camaraderie and festivity.

Credit where credit is due department: We had a very valiant author who hauled herself up here in the sleet and everything else last night only to have no audience show up, despite the lovely blurb our local weekly gave her. Snow is like that. Her book is really interesting and is worth looking at--all you folks in my non-existent audience should check it out:Erzulie's Skirt by Ana-Maurine Lara.

No comments: